Categories
Classic Cars

1973 Rolls Royce Corniche, the blown up story from WWII

ADVERTISEMENT

Make : Rolls Royce
Model : Corniche
Year : 1973

Owner : Nostalgia Classic Cars
Country : United Arab Emirates

In 1939, Rolls Royce produced the first prototype car with the nameplate Corniche based on the Bentley Mark V. The car made it through the endurance testing in Continental Europe, however, the journey to England was not a success. The first Corniche was blown up while waiting at the dockside in World War II.

As for the name “The Corniche”, it is inspired by the French word “Corniche” which means a coastal road, especially along the face of a cliff, and mainly it is inspired by the luxury scenery of the Grande Corniche along the French Riviera above the principality of Monaco.

As for the history and how it started. Well, basically the Corniche is a Silver Shadow with two doors and that’s exactly how it started out. Back in 1965, the Silver Shadow replaced the aging Silver Cloud with what was then cutting-edge engineering.

In September 1967, a ‘proper’ convertible version was launched, with an electric roof.

Visually similar to the two-door saloon, the convertible had the advantage of frameless windows, giving a very elegant appearance with the roof stowed away. Apart from the obvious styling differences, under the skin, these two-door cars were pure Silver Shadow, so performance was much the same. However, after five years, they were heavily revised in March 1971 and relaunched simply as the Corniche both in Rolls and Bentley forms.

In February 1977, the Corniche was heavily revised again, with the most obvious changes being the split-level automatic air conditioning and the rubber-faced bumpers from the Shadow II/T2. Mechanically, the biggest improvement was the fitting of a rack and pinion steering replacing the old recirculating ball set up.

The Corniche was equipped with the standard Rolls-Royce V8 engine of 6.75 L Twin SU carburetors and was fitted with a three-speed automatic transmission (a Turbo Hydramatic 350 sourced from General Motors) and a four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs and four wheels disc brakes were specified, with ventilated discs added for 1972.

Corniche models received Bosch KE/K-Jetronic fuel injection in 1977. This engine, called the L410I, produced approximately 240 PS (177 kW) at just above 4,000 rpm for a top speed of 190 km/h.

Production totaled 1090 Rolls-Royce Corniche Saloons, 3239 Rolls-Royce Corniche Convertibles, 69 Bentley Corniche Saloons and 77 Bentley Corniche Convertibles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Categories
Classic Cars

1993 Maserati Shamal, The Classic Wind

ADVERTISEMENT

Make : Maserati
Model : Shamal
Year : 1993

Owner : Nostalgia Classic Cars
Country : United Arab Emirates

The Italian manufacturer produced the Maserati Shamal (Tipo 339) from 1990 to 1996. The car was first introduced on 14 December 1989 in Modena by Maserati president and owner, Alejandro de Tomaso. The Italian vehicle was named as per the Maserati wind naming tradition: “Shamal” which is a well-known hot summer wind that blows in large areas of Mesopotamia.

The Shamal was the last Maserati vehicle produced under the reign of de Tomaso prior to Fiat acquisition in 1990. Maserati produced 369 units from Shamal by 1996.

The Maserati Shamal is a two-door coupe equipped with a twin-turbocharged V8 AM 479 3217cc engine coped with a manual 6-speed gearbox capable to reach a top speed of 270 Km/h and an acceleration of 0-100 km/h in 5.3 sec while producing 322 hp and 436 Nm of torque.

1993-Maserati-Shamal-Arab-Motor-World-08
1993-Maserati-Shamal-Arab-Motor-World-07

The exterior of the Shamal was designed by Marcello Gandini. Gandini’s touch is clearly visible in the slanted profile of the rear wheel arch and the numerous headlamps in individual housings. The name “Shamal” appears on either side of the vehicle in chrome letters. The Shamal’s body is also equipped with a small rear spoiler and a blacked-out grille with chrome accents.

The Italian car has a two-seat interior that features extended leather seat cushions, temperature control, and the famous Maserati oval clock. The gear lever is finished in elm.

The adaptive suspension of the vehicle was custom built for comfort and road driving and was developed between Maserati and Koni using MacPherson struts upfront and semi-trailing arms at the rear.

The Shamal was a Maserati built for comfort, as well as performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Categories
Muscle Cars

1969 Dodge Charger R/T

ADVERTISEMENT

Make : Dodge
Model : Charger R/T
Year : 1969

Owner : Nostalgia Classic Cars
Country : United Arab Emirates

First launched in 1966, the Dodge Charger was an instant hit. With the rise of the Muscle Cars’ Era, Dodge ventured into creating a muscle car based on the Coronet and staffed it with rich interior and plenty of power. Mopar fans rushed with enthusiasm to purchase the new Charger.

The second generation produced from 1968 – 1970 was an even greater success. Dodge with a radical departure from the 1966 Charger created the 1968 full-sized sports car ready to tear the tarmac.

In 1969, the Charger still used the same body as the previous year, but the 1969 version received a divided grille and new taillights.

The Charger’s wheelbase remained at 117 inches; its overall length was 208 inches, its width was 76.6 inches, and its height was 53.2 inches.

The base Chargers had the 225-cid slant-six and the 318-cid V-8 as standard engines. The Charger R/T had the 440-cid V-8 as its standard engine. In addition to the Charger SE, which was a mix of sport and luxury, it had all of the standard Charger features plus leather and vinyl bucket seats, simulated woodgrain steering wheel, deep-dish wheel covers, hood-mounted turn signal indicators, simulated woodgrain instrument panel, and the light group option.

1969-Dodge-Charger-RT-Arab-Motor-World-02
1969-Dodge-Charger-RT-Arab-Motor-World-05

DODGE CHARGER R/T Engine types

These were the everyday engines, the engines people ordered if economy outweighed performance. They all took regular fuel, had a single snorkel air cleaner, and a single tailpipe.

225 Six 318 V8 383 V8
Carburetor 1-bbl. 2-bbl. 2-bbl.
Compression 8.4:1 8.8:1 8.7:1
Gross horsepower 145 @ 4000 230 @ 4400 290 @ 4400
Torque (lbs-ft.) @ rpm 215 @ 2400 320 @ 2000 390 @ 2800

 

These were the engines for performance buyers. All had dual tailpipes and took premium fuel. The 340, 440 Six-Pack, and 426 Hemi had unsilenced air cleaners; the 383 and 440 Magnum had dual-snorkel air cleaners.

 

340 V8 383 V8 383 Magnum 440 Magnum 440 SixPack 426 Hemi
Carburetor 4-bbl. 4-bbl. 4-bbl. 4-bbl. 3x 2-bbl. 2x 4-bbl.
Compression 8.8:1 9.5:1 9.5:1 9.7:1 10.5:1 10.25:1
Gross hp 275@5000 rpm 330@5000 rpm 335@5200 rpm 375@4600 rpm 390@4600 rpm 425@5000 rpm
Pound-feet 340@3200 rpm 425@3200 rpm 425@3400 rpm 480@3200 rpm 490@3200 rpm 490@4000 rpm

ADVERTISEMENT

Categories
Classic Cars

1952 Land Rover Defender Minerva

ADVERTISEMENT

Make : Land Rover
Model : Defender Minerva
Year : 1952

Owner : Nostalgia Classic Cars
Country : United Arab Emirates

Winner of Custom 4×4 Award at the 8th Emirates Classic Car Festival

After World War II, several countries started developing their military fleet, and with the rise of the automobile industry in the US, Land Rover found itself competing with Jeep to dominate the military vehicle segment.

The first prototype of Land Rover was built up over the summer of 1947 and had been completed by mid-October of that year. It was built on the chassis of a war surplus Jeep and had a 1389cc four-cylinder petrol engine from the contemporary Rover 10hp saloon car.

In 1952, Land Rover made its reputation in building military vehicle, thus LR was approached by Minerva, a Belgium automobile production company, to build military vehicles with custom specifications needed for the Belgium army. Land Rover was competing with Jeep for that contract and eventually was won by the British automaker. Both 80” and 86” models were made until production ended in 1956. Most were for military use, and very few were built for civilian use.

This specific 1952 Land Rover Defender Minerva is still almost at factory conditions and comes with left-hand drive specifications. The 2-door soft-top body type light weight military vehicle weighs in at almost 1820 kg and is a 4×4 part-time drive with rear permanent drive and front engaged manually in off-road conditions, it comes equipped with a 1997 cc engine displacement and capable of producing 52 hp and 137 Nm of Torque.

ADVERTISEMENT